What is Acne?
Acne is a skin condition that affects the oil glands of the skin. Each of the pores in your skin connects to oil glands that produce an oily substance called sebum. Through a connective canal called a follicle, these oil glands carry dead skin cells to the skin’s surface. When the thin hair follicle of these pores clogs, a pimple is formed.
Acne can occur on several different parts of the body including the back, face, chest, shoulders and neck. Although acne is not considered a serious health threat, if left untreated it can cause scars as well as low self-esteem. Pimples, blackheads and other bumps are common signs associated with acne.
Acne is a medical condition that, in most cases, can be successfully addressed with the right treatments and medications.
Face the clear facts behind the causes of acne. Hormones. Clogged pores. Bacteria. You probably know they all contribute to acne, but the truth is no one knows exactly what causes it. Most experts agree, though, that there are several related factors that may aggravate the condition, including:
- Hormones: Acne can flare up easily in teens and adults—especially women during pregnancy, menstrual periods and menopause.
- Certain drugs: Avoid products such as lithium and steroids. In fact, birth control pills may help keep acne from developing.
- Genetics: If a parent, brother or sister, or your child has acne, it could be due to genetics. One study found that this was true of 50% of adults with acne.
- Comedogenic products: Using oily skin care and some hair products can block pores, which can lead to breakouts.
- Stress: Stress won’t cause acne, but it can aggravate hormones that do. The higher the stress level, the higher the occurrence of acne, especially in women who work in high-pressure jobs.
- Physical pressure: For some, the pressure from helmets, chinstraps and collars can aggravate acne.
- Some occupations: Exposure to industrial products, such as oils used in metal-cutting, may produce acne.
What Are the Different Acne Types?
To select the treatment option that best benefits your skin, it is important to understand the type of acne you are experiencing. There are various types of acne that can affect individuals of all genders and ages. Here are some of the different types of acne:
- Acne Mechanica
Blackheads, whiteheads and cysts are among the most common acne types experienced; however, some acne types can be more severe. Luckily, no matter what acne type you suffer from, there is a solution that will work for you!
At Sage Spa we use effective acne treatment methods that work in conjunction with your unique skin and acne type. Coaching our clients on how to use safe products correctly is what we excel at. If you are ready to get your acne under control, we can create a customized treatment plan and work together to clear your skin!